7.30.2013

Eggplant...YUM!

Leih hou FAM! :)

I looove you guys so much and am happy you got to go to Idyho! I hope you told everyone I said HELLO and I love them soo soo much!

ENGAGEMENTS: Ally Holmes! Oh my goodness congratulations! I'm so happy for you and wish I could be there! Aubree Hansen! Congrats! wowza all my friends will be married by the time I get home. That is sooooooooooooooo weird to think about. Marriage is like the furthest thing from my mind right now... haha.

Think about Mulan. Think about every part of it, the busy street with the grandma crossing it with her eyes closed, the old men playing chess, the shirtless men spitting on the side of the road, the worshipping of ancestors, the little sticks on fire, the gardens.... I'm talking EVERYTHING. Now picture me in Mulan. That's exactly how I feel. hahaha seriously, this is Mulan! It's the most bizarre thing! I was thinking about how similar it really is this week and laughing and quoting parts of it with the other sisters. I'M SERIOUSLY IN CHINA! WHO'S FREAKING OUT?? :)

Anyway, this week was so good! The work has been slowing down quite a bit... some of our investigators are on holiday and a lot of them aren't picking up their phones :( but we push forward as usual and continue to LOVE every second of the time we have in Macau! To answer your question Dad, transfers ("moves") here are every 9 weeks, so we haven't had one yet. We had to have some "mini moves" to accommodate some new missionaries coming in. But my first move is almost over! Craziness!!! August 8 will be moves and I'll find out whether or not I'm leaving Macau! I seriously can't believe it's already been 2 months. Time has FLOWN.

On Tuesday we did exchanges - my first time! I was with Sister Cutler and WOW she is a powerhouse. I feel like I learned so much! She is such a clear teacher. It was so awesome to be able to learn from her. She's a stellar missionary. She goes home in December, but her Canto is rockin' awesome. Gives me hope for mine :)

....but seriously, speaking of Cantonese, I feel like something clicked this week. This week was a big turning point. I now feel like I get most of what happens in lessons!! Sister Lau and I have really awesome balance and we can teach with a lot of unity! I am learning SO much SO fast! It's crazy! The gift of tongues is real, people. Pres Hawks always says, "The language will come faster than you think, but slower than you want." SO TRUE. I want it to come faster, but when I look back at how much I know and understand already, it's absolutely incredible. I'm learning Chinese! This is so insane!!!

We have a lot of people that can't meet with us because of work and stuff, so we've been doing a lot of quick lessons over the phone. It's been really cool. Like the other day, H JM only had a minute to talk to us, so we sang her a hymn over the phone. It reminded me of your story you emailed me last week, Mom. It really brought the Spirit. I love the hymns so much. I love singing. I may not be very good, but I just love music. I loved how you thought about me when that girl played "How Great Thou Art." That always reminds me of Michelle because she told me that was her favorite song, and then it became mine. Michelle, I love you and miss you! I hope you're doing well! :)

Random fact about me that I've learned while I've been here: I LOVE eggplant. I really do. It's absolutely delicious. Why didn't we ever eat eggplant before Mom??? When I get home, we're having eggplant all the time. I'm making it for my roommates and everything - Mina, Hay, Morg, get ready!! :)

In my personal study this week I have learned so much about faith. The Lord gives us trials -- be it lice (which by the way is GONE!!! YIPPEE!) or no investigators or heat or a new language or just a bad hair day (every day....) -- and these trials shape us. When we have hard things, we push through and then we are blessed. I know that I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me :) and what a blessing that is!

I love you guys ssoooooooooooooo much! I miss you like crazy, but I LOVE THIS WORK! I am a missionary! It's insane, I can't believe it, but WOW I would never trade it! I love it I love it I love it! sorry this email isn't very long. Today for P-day we're going shopping so I gotta run!

Keep emailing me and writing me! I love and live for your letters! :) I LOVE YOU ALL!

Love always,
Shay
xoxoxoxo

No comments: