4.22.2013

Papa's Green Silky PJs...


My lovely family!!!
 
Oh my goodness emailing you is the HIGHLIGHT of my week. But i can definitely see why they have a rule for only emailing/writing once a week. Because when I email it makes me miss you! Not too much, but I absolutely love you so so so so much. I can't even begin to express how much you mean to me.
 
Also, THANK YOU for all the letters!! I feel like I am being showered with love when I get a letter or dearelder or package. I have the best family and friends in the entire world. Thank you so much Emma, Josiah, Max, and Gideon - I LOVED your cards! Megan Greenhalgh Probst sent me a package of mini cupcakes and a dearelder! Taylor Psalto, Mina May, Marcene, Marianne, Matt Rogers, Haley, Grandma Wilcox, Spencer Waddoups, and ESPECIALLY Whit Twit, Dad, Momma, Jaren.... hmm who's missing... uh Parker!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WRITE ME YOU GOOFUS! :) I want to hear about your life! But seriously, if I forgot anyone (and I probably did).. Thank you times a million. Letters lift and encourage me so much! Keep em coming! Mom, I especially liked your list of things you had to tell me. That was awesome. I do that too, in my journal. I love hearing from you. I tell my companion and my roomies every day how much I miss eating green smoothies and going to Zumba together. I miss you!
 
BUT... the MTC is amazing as ever. I can't believe how blessed I am to be here. It's the most incredible place in the world. Every single day is such a spiritual high - by the end of the day it's exhausting :) But I wouldn't trade it! I LOVE being a missionary! Being able to help others come unto Christ is the greatest feeling in the world. Let me tell you about my week! Sorry it's so long (and hopefully not boring...) but I just want to tell you EVERYTHING. I wish you could be here so I could just tell you all in person!
 
This week we continued teaching Pauline. Wednesday was ROUGH. During our lesson, we didn't do very well at all. We had a lesson completely prepared on Christ and then Pauline said, "I know God doesn't love me because my sister died." Uh.. yeah.. okay.. not prepared for that. I felt so bad because I wanted to convey Heavenly Father's love for her SO BADLY but I don't know enough Cantonese yet. So our lesson wasn't very good at all. Sister Morgan and I felt absolutely awful. We prayed but couldn't really focus the rest of our language study time. We went to dinner and it was the most incredible tender mercy to see familiar faces. Cale Strong and Jake Segura came up to see me and I told them all about my day. Jake was really helpful and told me about his first week. He said, "How long have you been here? Calm down." He said if I focus on Pauline and her needs and the doctrine, then the language will come. It was exactly what I needed to hear. Then I went and said hi to Ben, and he helped me out too. It was such a boost! It so nice to have some familiar faces at the MTC with me (except Ben left today... sad!!). It's also comforting to hear that others have the exact same experiences. When we got back from dinner, I had 5 dearelders and 3 cards sitting on my desk. BEST THING EVER! Hearing from people in the "outside world" is soooo motivating and helpful! I got teary reading your letter, Mom. I also had a note from two sisters in our room that I've been struggling to love. They wrote some scriptures down (Mosiah 4:27, D&C 84:88, D&C 11:21) and wrote, "Remember God loves you and will not try you beyond your means. We love you!!!" I was seriously so humbled by that. It was a huge reality check to be like, okay. They love me. They're supporting me. I felt bad for not loving them as much. (But ever since then, things have been WONDERFUL. I absolutely adore them!)  So, then Sis Morgan and I asked Elder Barker (our DL) to give us a blessing. It was a wonderful experience. He told me so many times in my blessing, "Our Father loves you, and He is proud of you." It was so special. Elder Barker has really stepped up to the plate as our district leader. It is so neat to see how the gospel changes people. I hope I can change myself. I really want to be an effective missionary for the Lord. I want to do this work to the best of my ability!
 
Anyway, Thursday was sooooooo much better! In our lesson with Pauline, the Spirit was there in abundance. I said the opening prayer and prayed that she would be able to feel God's love for her and feel the Spirit. I could tell she was touched. Then throughout the lesson, we just kept getting promptings by the Spirit. Things that I didn't even know how to say kept coming out of my mouth. I testified of our Father in Heaven's love for His children, and for Pauline. We told her we KNEW she'd see her sister again. There was an especially powerful moment when Sister Morgan said, "I KNOW God loves you, Pauline." and I said, "WE love you." Sis Morgan and I were almost in tears by the end of the lesson. It was so powerful.
 
On Friday, Pauline became our other teacher haha. Sister Tai! She's AWESOME. So our teachers are Sister Chang (Jeung Ji Muih), Sister Tai (Daai Ji Muih), and Brother Harper (Haa Hing Dai). I LOVE THEM ALL. Ps... all of us might possibly have teacher crushes on Brother Harper... hahaha. Especially me. He's pretty cute. And super patient. And very nice. And he has a great smile. But we're missionaries.. soooooooo. Yeah. Can't help but think of your parents Morg! ;) your dad was your mom's teacher in the MTC.. oh man.. hahaha. KIDDING EVERYONE. I'm totally focused. Okay. Anyway. So Daai Ji Muih's testimony was POWERFUL on Friday night. When she finished with class for the day, she said, "So how you feeling?" and until that moment, I hadn't realized that I actually wasn't "houh houh" (good good - you say it "ho ho"). I was pretty overwhelmed. So I said that out loud. Daai Ji Muih nodded and shared Alma 7:11-12 with us and bore the most incredible, heartfelt testimony I've ever heard. She told us that she knew Christ suffered for us so that he would KNOW how to succor us. She told us we could do it and that God called us to this mission and God does not make mistakes. She told us how glad she was that we were going to serve in her home, Hong Kong and how much that meant to her. I was crying the entire time. She is so sweet. It was a powerful testimony to me that, yes, Christ loves me! He is there for me! He knows EXACTLY how I feel and he will hold my hand every step of this crazy journey. How thankful I am for that. I am so thankful for Him. He is the center of my testimony. I know He lives. I know He descended below all things so that He could help me in my greatest times of need. I am going to repay him the littlest bit I know how by serving him with my whole heart these next 18 months.
 
Sundays are the greatest day at the MTC (besides P-day ;) ). They are SUCH a spiritual high! We went to sacrament meeting, then went to Relief Society where Mary Edmunds was the speaker. She was incredible. Her testimony of missionary work was wonderful. Then for the closing hymn, we sang "Dear to the Heart of the Shepherd." PLEASE GO LOOK UP THE LYRICS. They are amazing. I cried my eyes out during the hymn, I could barely even sing. I felt so strongly what I am doing is RIGHT.
 
"Out in the desert they wander
Hungry and helpless and cold
So to the rescue we'll hasten
Bringing them back to the fold."
 
I feel so much compassion and love for the people of Hong Kong, and I haven't even met them yet. I want to bring them back to the fold! They are wandering, hungry and helpless and cold, missing the most important thing in their lives: the gospel of Jesus Christ. I want to go share this beautiful message of happiness and peace with them! I can't wait to be able to do that. I can feel my thoughts, my actions, my heart changing already. I will never be the same again. And how awesome that is! I also thought, during that song, of Stacy and Sheldon. Maybe you should give me their addresses. I'd like to write them a letter.
 
So, after RS, the elders were at priesthood so we went back to our classroom (when I say "we" I almost always mean me, Sis Morgan, Sis Johnson, and Sis Palmer- my besties here at the MTC!) and watched mormon messages and just had a cry fest for a while. The one that made me cry the most was called "Power of God" I think. You guys should definitely go watch it. It made me think of you, Parker and Jaren, and how you hold the priesthood, and the many wonderful things that you are able to do with it. Honor it! Remember what a blessing it is that you have it! I am so proud of you broskis. I love you to pieces. PARKER YOU BETTER WRITE ME OR I'M GONNA BE UPSET. :) anyway, after the mormon message cry fest, and after lunch, we went on our temple walk! Greatest thing ever. I'm gonna try and send pictures but this card reader I'm using won't read my SD card. It's weird. I'll try and figure it out! On our temple walk I saw Becca! I've seen her every day. She's in the same building as me! Anyway, I talked to her for a little while and she was crying to me for a sec. She said, "Are you homesick?" and i said, "No! Not at all!" and she is. She's kind of having a hard time. I hope I helped her out a little bit. I just was encouraging her and telling her how much I loved her! Whit, you should write her.
 
I sing in choir here! It's fun! The choir director is incredible. He is a great guy. He always shares a spiritual thought and it's always so inspiring. I love that everything here is so uplifting!!!! :)
 
The elders in my district are good missionaries, Dad. Especially Elder Barker. He's awesome. But they're all great. I love them so much! There are 3 districts here going to Hong Kong (did I tell you that already?) it's like 24 people. It's the most people they've EVER sent to Hong Kong from the MTC. EVER. How cool is that!?! So the 6 of us girls in our room are the only ones going to Hong Kong in the whole MTC. We feel pretty special :) It's so fun! We get along SO WELL. We laugh all day, and do everything together. I feel like I've known these sisters longer than just a week and a half! We are so bonded and so close. It's great :) Everyone here is so nice, though.
 
Funny story. Hilarious, actually. I hope you appreciate it. So I got a package on Friday, but I didn't know who it was from. They just give you a slip that says "you have a package" and you're supposed to go pick it up. Friday we didn't have time, and then Saturday when we went the place was already closed. I was bummed! But I was like, oh well I'll just get it Monday. Well at 10:00 on Saturday night, I hear my name over the loudspeaker that goes to the ENTIRE MTC. "Sister Shaylee Wilcox, please come to the front office." That's embarrassing. And let me give you a little vision: I had wet hair from the shower at this point. I was wearing Papa's green silk pajamas. (thanks for sewing up the fly for me, by the way Mom. haha!). The front office is in 1M. I live in 17M. Long walk with wet hair in silky green old man pajamas.  I was like, "if it's just my package I want to wait till Monday!" But my coordinating sister said, "uh.. they wouldn't call you to the front office for just your package... you'd better go." So at this point I'm kinda freaking out. What did I do? Eat too much salad at every meal? ahhh!! So sister Morgan and I throw on hoodies and our nametags over our PJs (yep, I wore the green silkies!) and walk cleeeeeeear over to 1M. We get up to the front and they hand me my package. Haha. It was cupckaes from Megan! So I was totally happy about that, but Sister Morgan and I were dying that we looked so ridiculous so late at night in our pajamas clear across MTC campus. I'm proud of those silky pajamas from Papa :) I love em! I bet he had a good laugh watching that :)
 
Oh, my time is about up. I have to go. I love you all so much more than I could say! I miss you! But I am SO HAPPY here. I love it more than I ever thought I would. I know my Father in Heaven lives and loves me. I KNOW He is guiding my life. I know Jesus Christ is my Savior. I am doing the most important, sacred work in the world! I am so thrilled with this opportunity. I'm working hard. I'll continue to do so. I hope I can show the Lord that I love Him and that I will do my best during this mission.
 
I love you all! Keep writing me! xoxo
 
All my love,
 
Shay
Gwok Ji Muih

No comments: