8.12.2013

I Almost Got Arrested...

HEY FAM!

Before you get too concerned about the subject of this email.. I'd better tell you the story:

This past week was moves, right? Right. So they announced moves and SISTER LAU AND I WERE TOGETHER AND STAYING IN MACAU! Yay! I was so excited. Sister Lau and I were like hugging and sooo super happy to be here together still :) Sister Pearl got transferred though. I was so sad. She is my best friend here in Macau and I love her to death! But a mission = change. So it was all good.

So then Friday I had to do my second U-turn. I was a little nervous because I had to do it MYSELF... buy my tickets in Chinese by myself and go on a boat by myself for an hour over to HK and then turn around and come back. But it was no big deal. I kind of enjoyed having alone time actually.... shh don't tell anyone. Companions are awesome but it is nice to be alone sometimes :) hehe. ANYWAY. so I got back to Macau fine and I was standing in line to go through customs. That's when they stamp your passport and give you however many days or whatever. I knew I would get 20 days and there would be no problems, but when I stepped up to the counter and gave them my passport, they started freaking out because I got two 30 days in a row. They had like 5 people come over to look at it and they were all speaking really fast Chinese. And I was BY MYSELF. Finally one guy came around the counter holding my HK ID and my passport and said, "Follow me."......

I went to the "Interview Room."

It was so scary. It was this little white room that had a code to get in and a little metal bench and a desk. The immigration officer sat down at the desk and then did something on the computer with my passport and HK ID for like 45 minutes. I was trying so hard not to cry. Haha it sounds like it wasn't a big deal but it was really scary. At one point he was like, "Why you here in Macau?" and then he saw my nametag and said, "Ohh... Mormon." and then typed on the computer again. So there I am in a little interview room that looks like where they question convicts on movies.. in CHINA... can't speak the language very well... can't remember my own name for crying out loud, I was so scared. After 45 minutes, the guy showed me a paper and said, "You have to leave Macau in 10 days. Go to immigration today at 4:00 and get your visa for 10 days. If you forget, they will kick you out today."

10 days??!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went back and found my companion and the other sisters she was with. I cried. Ha. It was so embarrassing, but A) that was a very traumatic experience, and B) I don't want to leave Macau!! So yes. I am here in Macau still -- soo happy about that! -- but I have to leave on Monday :( I don't know where I'm getting transferred yet so I guess you'll have to wait for that news AGAIN!

I read a quote today in the Ensign from April conference that has changed my life. I think I'm going to make it my life motto:

"As we follow Him, He blesses us with gifts, talents, and the strength to do His will, allowing us to go beyond our comfort zones and do things we've never before thought possible." --Elder Robert D. Hales.

I have thought of that quote every single day since reading it. I thought of it sitting in that little interview room. I have shared it with all of my investigators. I KNOW that to be true with all of my heart. I never in a million years thought I'd be serving a mission... let alone speaking Chinese. When I got my mission call, I was scared spitless. But I chose to follow my Savior. I chose to give Him everything I have, and He truly has blessed me with the ability to go beyond my comfort zone and do things I've NEVER before thought possible. Whitney, I know He'll do the same for you at college. Mina, same for you. Dad, your time will become easier to manage because you are choosing to follow Him. Mommy, you will be given extra strength in whatever area you need it. Parker and Jaren, if you put the Lord first, everything else will fall into place. I know this is true with everything that I am. I feel this with a conviction that is hard to describe. I love my Savior. I love my Eternal Father. I know they are with me on this mission. Wherever they need me to go next, I will go, because I know they will allow me to do so without fear. It's such a comforting, wonderful, empowering thought!

Our investigators are doing SO GREAT. Man, I just love them. I tell them all the time, too. Haha they might get sick of how many times I tell them. But they're so awesome. They have such huge desires. I love seeing the gospel change people. I LOVE this work. It is the best thing in the world!

This morning we watched "Joseph Smith: the Prophet of the Restoration" with B and I was filled with the Spirit. What a way to start P-day!! :) At the end, we just bore a simple testimony of Joseph Smith and of the Restoration. Then I said the closing prayer. I said, "Chan ngoi ge Tinfuh" (dear Heavenly Father), and then I started BAWLING. I could barely even speak. But I prayed that B would feel the message of the Restoration was true and that she could know that Heavenly Father is real and that He loves her. I know she felt the Spirit. I hope she really can know those things. I love her soooo much!!!

We've been having a little bit of a hard time getting our investigators to church. This week we're going to work on testifying of the importance of being at church and partaking of the sacrament. It truly is the most important part of each week. Even in China, when I can't understand 99% of church, the sacrament is still a special and sacred time when we get to renew our covenants and remember our Great and Loving Savior.

Family, I love you soooooooooo much. I hope you know that. I hope you feel my love across continents and time zones! I am so thankful for you and the strength you give me. Keep the faith! It's worth every bit of adversity! :)

I LOVE YOU!

Love love love love love,
Shay
Gwok
xoxoxo

No comments: