4.28.2014

Words on a page! (Letter from 4/27/14)

Dear family and friends,

I'm so sorry last week/the week before that, my emails were so lame. I just have no time at all with all of the exciting things that are going on back home :) (aka, whit's mission call). I'm still freaking out about it. Welcome to Asia, whit! :) it's a wonderful place!!

This week has been a crazy up and down week for us, but I've learned TONS. I always think there's no way I could learn this much in a year, but I have and it keeps coming. The Lord knows me way better than I know myself, that's for sure. There's been a big push in our mission for our "65 in July" goal. It's time to buckle down now!! There's been a lot of stress for more investigators, more baptismal dates, better teaching, everything. We're just raising the bar out here! It's been really good because it's allowed me to take a step back and look at the way I'm doing things. Am I doing everything I can to spread the gospel? Am I being a good teacher? Am I being a good leader/example? Am I balancing everything? Am I listening to the Spirit? Am I helping people have faith in our Savior, Jesus Christ? It's given me a lot to think about.

At the beginning of the week, we had four investigators with baptismal dates. This week, 3 of them dropped. It was really sad and hard. But it's been a blessing. Those people weren't ready. At least all of them, -- Kami, Christina, and Helen -- are still willing to meet with us and learn more. We just have to help them develop more faith before they get baptized!

Our tripanionship is good and happy :) I was being a really huge negative nancy last week and stressing. Everything is going great! We have a lot of responsibility, but it's nothing that we can't do without the Lord and without each other!!

STORY TIME:

1. So we're in charge of Hung Shui Kiu now too, right? Hung Shui Kiu is like a jungle of huts and little houses. It's CRAZY. It is NOTHING like the rest of Hong Kong. And there are soooo many dogs. Sister Aguilar and I are terrified of them. haha. (I know, all my stories involve dogs) So we're in this teeeeny little alleyway and there are dogs lining the fences, all barking their heads off. We were so scared to walk down it, but we had to. Sister Choi said, "20 seconds of courage! I'll count to 20 and we'll walk through!" So we all start counting at the top of our lungs: "1....2....3......4....." all the way to 20, speed-walking through this small alleyway full of giant barking dogs. And when you imagine these dogs, imagine the Sandlot. Like THOSE kind of dogs. It was scary but so good. When we got to the end we were laughing so hard we couldn't even stand up straight :)

2. We went to visit a less active. We walk into her house, and we see this ANCIENT old lady in the corner, just squatting like Asians do. And what is she doing? She's smoking this enormous bamboo pipe. Like, the size of a small tree. It's just between her legs and she's sucking in some gross looking liquid from a bucket between her legs. I don't even know how to describe it. It was DISGUSTING and so weird and just.... shocking. She was totally high and it was really sad but at the same time, just so odd I didn't even know what to do or say.

3. We went grocery shopping this morning. Sister Aguilar turned a corner and almost ran into a cart with a whole DEAD PIG on it. Just a dead pig, chilling on a cart, in the middle of Park and Shop. Its tail still had HAIR ON IT. so gross.

Well, I love you all. I'm sorry the quality of my emails has gone down and keeps declining. I have so much to think about and write about -- I feel like I get here and just word vomit into an email and then send it. Ugh. Sorry.. I'll just have to save the best stories for when I get home :) I love you all so much. Thanks for the constant support and love and encouragement. I love you all SO MUCH! I know this work is the Lord's and I couldn't be happier that I have a part in saving His children.

Have a wonderful week! I love you!
Love,
Shay
xoxoxoxo


No comments: