7.22.2014

Onward, ever onward!!

FAMIRY! FLIENDS! All my roved ones!

Hello from the HK this week! This hot, humid, very hot, very humid, very slow week. There's no way I'm going to complain about our amazing investigators getting baptized, but.... that also means that we have a lot more finding to do. A LOT more.

Here's the big news from today. We just got summer missionaries!! So Hong Kong has this program where during the summer they have some youth go and be missionaries for 2 weeks! Sister Aguilar and I both got one. Mine is Sister Chan from Tsimshatsui ward. She's so cute! She actually goes to school in Lehi, UT, so her English is great and knows a lot about Utah :) she's my new companion for the next 2 weeks! We split the work in Tin Shui Wai and Sister Ag and her summer mish do half and we do half. It almost means that we have a lot more finding to do. A LOT more. But hey, if we didn't do finding, we wouldn't find new investigators, and people wouldn't get baptized, and we wouldn't have success. So we will go onward, ever onward!!!

This past week was a little bit rough. We got "fonged" six times. That hasn't happened to me yet in Tin Shui Wai. (Here's a Chinese lesson. "Fonged" is Chinglish. It means people didn't show up to their appointments. English is they stood us up. So in Chinese we say they "fong oh day fay gay" haha now you can say it! It literally means they threw us out of an airplane ha.) Anyway, we were feeling really discouraged but the miracles still came...

  • This week we had another really special experience with Christine. She is such a great example to everyone around her :) She and her sister, Tina, were planning on coming to English class on Friday night. Right before, they got a call and said they had to go home really fast because of some problems. About five minutes later, they came back and asked us if they could talk to us in private. We went with them to another classroom and Tina just started bawling. They said their parents were arguing and their little brother had called them because he was really scared. Poor girls :( Christine said they were going to go home to take care of their little siblings but they wanted us to pray with them first. We said of course! We knelt down and Christine told Tina to say the prayer. It just about tore out my heartstrings... She sobbed and said the most humble, wonderful prayer and I couldn't help but get teary. This is what the gospel of Jesus Christ does for families and for individuals. It heals broken hearts and broken homes. I felt like I could fly in that moment. Because of the gospel, Christine and Tina were able to have peace in a hard time for them. Heavenly Father loves us. Oh, He loves us. That's the best part of this work. It's not the baptisms -- as great as they were. It's seeing their lives change and seeing them take those steps down the path of eternal life. I LOVE IT SO MUCH!
  • Christina gave the spiritual thought at a YSA activity last night and did a GREAT job! We were bursting with pride! :)
  • We also visited a ward member because we felt prompted to go to her and ask for referrals. Turns out, she's been struggling lately but no one has known. It was really cool to go on such a specific and immediate errand for the Lord. He really does treat us as His angels to do this work. We read some BOM scriptures with her, and then she asked us to sing "How Firm a Foundation" for her. She was in tears the whole time. It was another very special and sacred experience.
  • We did a special zone fast yesterday for 65 in July. There are so many wonderful things happening all over the mission! I just heard that two of my old investigators from Cheung Sha Wan, Sister Chan (the one that had cancer) and her daughter Ching Ching got baptized yesterday. I can't even handle the happiness of that news!!!! HONG KONG IS GROWING!! I love being a part of it! I love you all! This work is real! Heavenly Father is pouring the blessings down upon us! I can't even contain my excitement!
Have a wonderful week! Whit, I'll be thinking of you when you go to the temple. I'm so so so excited for you :) P-did, I'll be thinking of you too, you and the old red flip phone. How old is that thing anyway? J-dub, I'll be thinking of you too, watching Harry Potter and going on sweet allstar bike rides and stuff like that :) M&D, I always think of you :) I love you guys!

Love,
Shay
Gwokster
xoxoxxo

HELLO TYPHOON SEASON!!! hahaha






No comments: