10.13.2014

lasts...(Letter from Oct 5, 2014)

Dearest family and friends that I love so much!

This week was so good. I feel like the time is passing SO fast. It is like Morgan said, it just slips through my fingers no matter how I try to hold onto it! So crazy! I tried to slow down and look at every moment individually. We had some really, really sweet moments this week. I just love this crazy city. I love it more than anything.

I had a lot of "lasts" this week...

My last MLC (mission leadership council). I realized this week that I've been a sister training leader for exactly half of my time in HK! I feel so blessed to have gone to so many leadership meetings and learned so much from President and Sister Hawks. I love them SO MUCH. They are the most wonderful people in the world. Besides M&D, I've learned more from them than anyone else.

My last zone training meeting. The last one I'll ever plan and lead and do trainings at and share my testimony at. Oh man, I'm going to miss it so much! I shared "words of wisdom" at the end because I'm the only missionary going home this month. I said over and over and over, "LOVE THE MISSION! It flies by! I want everyone to have the chance to love their mission like I've loved mine. It's meant everything to me."

My last fast and testimony meeting.
My last fast Sunday as a missionary.
My last Women's Session of general conference as a missionary.

I LOVED Sister Marriott's talk from the Women's Session. (Haven't seen the other sessions yet!! So excited for this weekend!) She quoted Harriet Uchtdorf and said we are "vibrant and enthusiastic beacons to the world." I loved that so much, especially because of an experience we had on Friday. We did Zone 24's (my last one) and i was with Sister Poulsen, a newbie. She was actually my companions MTC companion. Anyway, we were walking through the park doing finding, and some lady out of nowhere says, "Hey, I recognize you!!" I was like, "Oh, really?" Super excited because maybe I'd contacted her before or something. She said, "Yes, I recognize you from the Subway in Tai Kok Tsui!" Okay, now Tai Kok Tsui is in my old area. The one I was in 8 MONTHS AGO. And we're in HONG KONG. This lady has probably seen millions of people in the time she was working in Subway (yes, like American sandwiches, that Subway). I said, "Really???! But I haven't been there in 8 months!" I knew she was right, we used to go to that Subway all the time when we craved American food. She said, "Yes but I still remember you, you and your friend were always so nice and so friendly!" WOW! I was STUNNED. She wasn't really too interested in the gospel, but she was so nice and we had a great conversation and I walked away feeling lighter than air. People really do watch us! They really do notice us! It's so important to be a good representative of Christ ALWAYS, even when we're tired or hungry or grumpy or whatever. People remember us.I have no doubt that lady will accept the gospel later in her life. And maybe part of it will be because I was nice to her. I hope so :) "We are vibrant and enthusiastic beacons to the world."

A ward member invited us over for dinner last night. We went and were able to teach their domestic helper about the Restoration. Last time we were there, we gave her an English Book of Mormon. This time we shared the Restoration. It was SUCH a good lesson. The Spirit was stronger than it's been for a long time. She is so humble and prepared! She is from the Philippines and left 3 kids behind (an 11 year old, a 4 year old, and a 9-month old) to come to HK to work so she could get money for them. How sad is that? She was so happy to hear of a message that can help her family be together forever. We passed her phone number onto the Filipino sister missionaries that are here and her address in the Philippines onto the office elders! Here's to hoping and praying for them to have the chance to hear it as well!

I love being a missionary. I'm so incredibly thankful for this experience. I love Hong Kong. Can I just repeat that? I LOVE HONG KONG. I love these sweet people and I love the food and the sights and smells and laughter and mountains and trees and crazy things and culture and..... everything. I love everything. I LOVE this work. I love my Savior. I love what He's done for me. I loved in Sister Marriott's talk when she talked about being in the temple and looking at all of her weaknesses and thinking, "I don't want to be that woman!!" I have so many of those experiences too. But the Savior is our only Hope. He loves us and wants us to come unto Him. I love bringing people that joy!

I love you all! So much!
Sister Gwok
xoxoxo

No comments: