2.18.2014

FREEZING in the boonies!!

Hello dearest family and friends! I hope you're all having a wonderful President's Day! (Someone reminded us that today was President's Day in america and it felt weird. Just another regular day here with no thought of good ol' George or anything)

Anyway....

I GOT TRANSFERRED!!!

I want to tell you all the deets, so I'm sorry if this email is a little on the long side....

District meeting when they announced moves calls was torture. I could feel that something was changing but I didn't know if I was going to move, or just get a new comp, or what. They announced me very last because I was bouncing up and down in my chair getting super nervous. And they said, "Sister Wilcox is going up to the New Territories to Tin Shui Wai!" {New T's is the boonies of HK}

Okay, pause. So this is where the really cool part comes in. Sister Yeung (that I have lived with for 6 months of my 8 here in HK and that I love so much!!) is from Tin Shui Wai! AND her mom is not a member. AND a few weeks ago, Sister Yeung was applying for BYU-Hawaii. She needed some stuff from her mom, but we had no idea if her mom had sent it or not yet, and the deadline was coming up. So I got permission to call her mom and talk to her about it. I don't know if it's just because I love Sister Yeung so much, or what, but when I talked to her mom on the phone, I instantly loved her to pieces. I got off the phone with her that night, and when I was brushing my teeth I was thinking how BADLY I wanted to go up to Tin Shui Wai and meet Sister Yeung's mom and help her get baptized. (She is really against seeing missionaries right now and didn't want Sister Yeung to go on a mission). SO NOW I GET TO HELP HER! I am so excited! I even called her the day before I left my old area to "schedule" her. I'm taking some stuff of Sister Yeung's back to her house for her. It's Heavenly Father's plan! GOSH I CAN'T EVEN GET THIS TO MAKE SENSE. It's SO amazing! I'm ssooooooooooooo excited. This is truly God's work. He knows how to help soften people's hearts. It's a crazy amazing miracle that I'm here :)

I miss my old area like crazy. It was so sad leaving it :( I LOVE Cheung Sha Wan ward and I always will! Our cute RS President was so sad I was leaving. She sent me a text that said: "I have so amazing time with you. May the Lord lead you and bless you forever. We love you very much!" She's the CUTEST. Ah, I will always love them. But I know that they'll keep on being awesome. Fantasy will keep on being a fantasy and everything will work out how it's supposed to. It's God's work, not mine!



Anyway, my new companion is Sister Aguilar from West Valley! She's awesome! I'm facebook friends with her, haha, so you can stalk her if you'd like :) I'm junior companion again and not a sister training leader anymore, but that's okay! I'm loving it up here in the New T's!

Fun facts about this new world I'm in:

-The taxis are green up here. In Kowloon (down in the city) they're red.
-I can't find the people up here..... we walk to the church and barely see 10 people. IT'S SOOO WEIRD!
-There's a little farm that we see from our office window in our apartment.
-There are lots of stray dogs....

Story time. I almost died. And I'm not kidding. Yesterday after church, we did a district find in Hung Shui Kiu, which is the area next to ours. It looks like this:

That's someone's house/yard. No joke.


So is this! Look how cute it is! That gate with the red thing on it is their front door. This cute little man told us we could take pictures on his front porch, haha, so we did!

So we're finding over here in this crazy place that looks like South America somewhere, and we're running into TONS of stray dogs. Big ones. Scary ones. We managed to avoid them and we were walking back to the church when suddenly, we rounded a corner. The church was in sight. But between us and the church, laying in the middle of the street, was a big dog. Sister Aguilar and I grabbed each other and said, "Okay, it's okay, we're fine..." The dog got up and ran over to us, barking its head off. I was freaking out, but we just stopped, holding on to each other like we were going to DIE. Then, as if one dog wasn't bad enough, three more big black ones came out of nowhere, snapping and snarling and growling and barking. We started inching our way backwards and we were hyperventilating. I started crying. HA, embarrassing, but it's true. Just a little bit of tears in my eyes because these dogs were MEAN and big and they were going to eat us. But then, they stopped chasing us. We backed up all the way down the street, way too scared to turn around and run for it or let go of each other. It was one of the scariest moments of my life. Writing it down makes it seem lame, but it was SCARY i tell you!!!!!

Anyway, I LOVE this area. There are sooooooooooooo many things happening, I can't even handle it. After weeks and weeks of slow moving in Cheung Sha Wan, I got up here and I can't BELIEVE how many investigators we have. It's amazing.

I'm totally out of time. I love you all SO MUCH! This work is real! I love what I'm doing! I may be in Boonies, HK but I know what I'm doing is real and good and right and not about me. That may be the biggest thing I've learned out here: NOTHING is about me. Everything is about everyone else.

I love you all! Have an awesome week!
Love always,
Sister Gwok
xoxo

No comments: