6.09.2014

a life changer

Dearest fam,

Oh man, this week's been amazing. Life changing, actually. I don't even know if I know how to explain how, either. I'll try.

First of all, this week was MLC (mission leadership council). I love this meeting, but the one this week was different somehow. It was AMAZING. We discussed a lot about obedience and how the missionaries in our mission are doing. We talked about 65 in July -- our huge goal -- and how we're going to accomplish it. President Hawks sent around a survey for us to fill out on what struggles we're having, how optimistic we are about the future of the mission, stuff like that. When he got the responses back, he cried. He said, "Elders and Sisters, I needed this today. As a mission president, I deal with SO MUCH. Sometimes it's easy to focus on the problems. But seeing your enthusiasm, your optimism, your faith.... it strengthens me." When he ended his remarks, he put his head in his hands and kept on crying, wiping his tears. Now you have to understand.... when you look at President Hawks, he's not a bawlbaby. He doesn't cry super easily. He's a stern-looking, get-to-the-point kind of person. Seeing him cry sent me over the edge. It made me realize how important this is and how much he cares about us. He loves this mission and this work and us missionaries and the Lord SO MUCH. What we're engaged in right now is real and so incredibly important. I'm thrilled that I have a chance to be a part of something so big and so wonderful. I want to work harder and harder for the Lord to accomplish what He wants here in Hong Kong.

Then we had Zone Training that us and the Zone Leaders are in charge of. We wanted to make it a really spiritual experience for everyone to pump them up about the work. We had a 15 minute part of it that we called "Soul Searching." We played a mormon message at the beginning, and then invited everyone to think/reflect on themselves and what they are doing to become who they want to become. It was great! Everyone seemed to really feel the spirit and want to be motivated to do better. Sister Aguilar and I did a training on teaching better and used the example of the Master, Christ, when he talks to the Samarian woman at the well. It went really well. It's nice being in a leadership position, I always feel like I learn SO MUCH from the things I have to study and prepare for. Much more than the people I present to, that's for sure.

We had a sad experience with Kami this week. She came to the church and we had a lesson, but she didn't have too much to say and she looked really nervous. We asked her what was wrong and she wouldn't say. Finally she started bawling and said, "I'm not ready to be baptized and I don't want to be forced!!" Whoa... it really made us stop and think. Both Sister Aguilar and I started bawling too and the three of us just cried together for a while. Sometimes, even when it breaks your heart and you think they're SO ready.... your investigators aren't. It's hard to accept God's timing sometimes, but it made us realize what's most important. It's most important that she learns what's real and right. It's most important that she has a testimony and feels the Spirit. It's most important that she comes to love the Savior. And no matter how bad we want to accomplish 65 in July, it's not about that. We're here to invite people to come unto Christ... not push them. It was a good realization to have. It's breaking our hearts because we love her to death and want this for her SO BAD!!!!! but she'll come around.

Our other girls are doing GREAT! Especially Christine. We taught her the plan of salvation yesterday and afterward she said, "Wow. Now I know why I'm here." No one has EVER SAID THAT TO ME BEFORE. I was so happy.

I feel like lately I've had some really great spiritual experiences that have helped me grow a lot. For a while, I wasn't feeling the Spirit like I was expecting I should be and it bothered me. But I think Heavenly Father just wanted me to work a little harder to find it. Now I have, and I can't get enough of the good feelings I get from the Holy Ghost. He is our constant companion and I'm SO inredibly thankful for Him and the way He guides my life.

I know this Church is true... and by true I mean wonderful and right. There is NOTHING in life that brings more happiness than this. Money, fame, a good job, electronics... none of that stuff even matters at all! The only thing that matters is this gospel. I'm so thankful for truth and the truth that I've discovered here in Hong Kong. It's changing my present and my future. I'm thankful for my Heavenly Father and His love. I'm thankful for my Savior and His Atonement. I'm thankful for the Holy Ghost and His guidance. I'm so thankful I get to share these truths as a missionary. I wish time would slow down a little bit... but other than that, I couldn't be any happier.

I love you all. I hope you have a great week!

Whit, I hope you have the most wonderful birthday tomorrow! I love you like crazy. And Mina, you on Wednesday! Happy birthday you two!

Love always,
Sister Gwokamole
xoxoxoxo

No comments: